When we were expecting the first time around (how has time gone by so quickly!) we kept the nursery fairly neutral as we weren’t going to find out what we were having until our Gender Reveal Baby shower (very close to the due date). Plus it would be less work should we have more children of a different gender. Walls were painted a light blue with a nautical decor (blues, teals, corals). Once we found out we were having a girl, it definitely started to take the turn into feminine territory, decorations we bought, gifts we received, etc.
This time when we found out we were having a boy, I knew we’d need to make some updates to be a bit more masculine, plus most of the decor was headed into Little Control Freak’s big girl bedroom. We didn’t have much budget or really much time to be making drastic changes, but with a few minor updates we were able to pull off a more masculine feel for Baby Baby Boy Control Freak arriving this May.
Nursery At a Glance BEFORE
Nursery At a Glance AFTER
Rocking Chair Nook BEFORE
Rocking Chair Nook AFTER
- Artwork on the wall: purchased the navy whale from Target’s Pillowfort line; light house picture was a gift from Nonna; Row Row Row Your Boat art made via MicroSoft Word, printed, and placed in a teal frame I already owned from The Christmas Tree Shops
- Rocking chair pillows: A pillow purchased from Target’s Pillowfort line and the checkerboard pillow was a quilted pillow my Nana made that I previously owned
- Small table: Already owned, purchased the navy blue rope napkins from Target to bring in more boy blue and help pull together the new wall art
After I took the above photo I purchased this iHome lamp that doubles as a dim light and a docking station/stereo for your iPod. Killed two birds with one stone, we shall see how well it works out. I was going for a dim light for middle of the night feedings.
Repainted the H in a dark Navy with paint I borrowed from my Mom
Diaper Station BEFORE
Diaper Station AFTER
Not much has changed, removed some of the girly shelf decor and hung the turquoise blanket
Reading Nook BEFORE
Reading Nook AFTER
Navy blue basket holding toys was an Easter gift and helps to pull together all the new navy room additions
- Painted the dresser hardware the same navy blue as the H above the crib
- Added a navy rope napkin to the dresser top
- Currier & Ives sailboat print was an antique shop find, remember that!
- Buoy on the wall was decor I had
And there you have it folks, update complete with minimal expense. Is everything matchy matchy? Not quite, but I’m happy with the result and hopefully Baby Boy will be too 🙂